Red Bull Thre3Style has changed the face of modern DJ battles. This innovative, global competition gives highly skilled DJs a platform to showcase their skills, battle and gain notoriety by rocking the dance floor. Participating DJs are challenged to produce their best 15-minute set, while incorporating three different styles of music. It doesn’t matter what styles, whether its hip-hop, electro, funk, house or country, so long as they turn the party out.
The participating DJs are judged on their track selection, technical skills, creativity and most importantly their ability to bring the house down. It doesn’t matter if they know every DJ trick in the book, if they can’t get feet on the dancefloor and hands in the air, they don’t stand a chance of winning a Red Bull Thre3Style contest.
Starting this month, DJs across the nation will battle for the coveted title of 2013 Red Bull Thre3style National Champion – a title that comes with bragging rights, cash prizes, a stamp of approval from some of the best DJs, and a ticket to compete in the Red Bull Thre3style World Finals in December.
Some of Austin’s own top DJ talent will battle for a qualifying spot on Friday, January 25th during the Red Bull Thre3style ATX Qualifier at Speakeasy On The Avenue. Five of Austin’s top Party Rock DJs will go head-to-head for a chance to advance to the next stage. The combatants will be Kid Slyce, DJ Chorizo Funk, Bird Peterson, Nick Nack, and Donnie Dee.
This Red Bull Thre3Style battle is one of five Local Qualifiers. The winner will receive a cash prize and an invitation to compete in the Regional Final held on Feb. 23 in Dallas, TX.
Who’s got the skills to advance? Who will rock the party? Find out for yourself. Entry is FREE with RSVP on Do512 - Do512.com/
Follow DJ Jazzy Jeff on an in-depth look at 2012′s Red Bull Thre3style in Chicago:
The history of Red Bull Thre3Style:
- The original concept of Red Bull Thre3Style began as a Tuesday night experiment at a small club. With a steady supply of Red Bull, the concept found its wings in 2007 and became a fully-fledged DJ battle. The event had a regional focus and took place in six cities across Canada.
- In 2008 Red Bull Thre3Style exploded with ten regional qualifiers throughout Canada. Local contests took place in Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon and Victoria. Red Bull Thre3Style 2009 raised the temperature like a club with no air-con. The finals took place at CiRCA in Toronto and it was Halifax’s DJ Cosmo, an old school meets new-school alchemist, who clinched the title.
- In 2010 the event went global and changed the face of modern DJ battles. From the USA to Japan to Colombia to New Zealand, 10 countries from around the world held deep-heated events to determine who the best party-rocking battle ambassador would be. Ultimately these warriors of the one’s and two’s came together in Paris, France at the end of the year and flexed every musical muscle in their body at the Red Bull Thre3Style International Finals at the Élysée Montmartre. In the end is was Paris’s own DJ kArve who wowed the judges, consisting of heavyweights such as Jazzy Jeff and DJ Craze, with his impressive collage of hip-hop head-nodding electro-rocking tunage.
- In 2011, after a series of worldwide qualification battles, the top 18 international DJ champions finally battled for the title of ‘world’s best party rocker DJ’ at the Red Bull Thre3style World Final 2011 in Vancouver. After five nights of mixing and scratching it was local DJ Hedspin who emerged the winner.
- 2012 kicked off with Red Bull Thre3Style Pre-Qualifiers on the West Coast in Seattle, Portland and Honolulu. DJ Four Color Zack won the Seattle competition and was ultimately crowned World Champion at the Red Bull Thre3style 2012 World Finals at The Metro in Chicago. Brazil’s Nedu Lopes took second and the aptly named DJ Drummer, representing Chile, came in third. Check out Four Color Zack’s 2012 Red Bull Thre3Style winning set here: http://bit.ly/WtZQMf