The Shiner Sessions were launched on January 30, 2011, with a performance by The Black Angels. Since then, more than 150 bands from all over the world have played in the Do512 Lounge. The sessions are made possible by the support of Shiner Beers, who believe in good beer and supporting musicians. We decided to have some fun with the bands who have previously performed in the Lounge, asking each of them for responses to the same five questions. Here were our inquiries:
- Where are you right now?
- What were some of your favorite albums of 2012?
- If you were a band/musician in the 70s, what would your band name have been?
- What are you looking forward to in 2013?
- Fill in the blank: When in Austin, always make sure to _____, and never _____.
What we gathered from this line of questioning is:
- A lot of musicians check their e-mail while in the bathroom.
- Many of them enjoyed Tame Impala’s new album.
- They recommend that you don’t act like an asshole when you’re in Austin.
The first set of responses we received came from Shakey Graves, Wild Child, He’s My Brother She’s My Sister, Kopecky Family Band, the Night Beats, Black Taxi, Henry + The Invisibles, and Ume. There will be many more to come! ________________________________________________________________
- I am in the kitchen of the first house I have found and rented on my own in Austin (even though I was born and raised here).
- “The Odessa Tapes” – The Flatlanders
- Wicked Saber!
- Always make sure to plan an escape route, and never run out of gas.
- Next Austin show: Wed. 01/30 at The Parish
- We are currently sitting in Kelsey’s bedroom. She is hanging up Christmas lights while Bobby, her scantily clad fiancé, sexily walks around the room to country music. I am sitting on the couch typing on my new Macbook Air. It is very light and I am enjoying the battery life.
- I guess the first thing that comes to mind is Alt J. Yes, definitely Alt J’s “An Awesome Wave.” The next one that comes to mind is definitely Frank Ocean. While I type this Kelsey said Fiona Apple’s new album. Definitely Fiona Apple. And now we just thought of another one; Jack White’s Blunderbuss. Oh and also Scissor Sister’s new album.
- Give Us Drugs. Privite Jetz. Statutory Grape.
- Well for sure releasing our new album “The Runaround.” We have one more week in the studio and could not be any more excited about releasing it. We are going to be on the road a lot more this year which we are looking forward to. Also, Arrested Development is coming back on and so is Game of Thrones.
- Always make sure to spit, and never swallow.
- Next Austin show: Fri. 01/25 at Antone’s with Quiet Company
- On the toilet in a motel in Arcata, CA.
- The new Tommy Santee Klaws album. The new Mynabirds album has some great songs. Same with the new Tame Impala.
- I dunno. Wiggy Bardust and the Coackroaches from Pluto.
- Going to Japan. Cross fingers. Knock on wood.
- Always make sure to see Shakey Graves perform as much as possible, and never say “y’all” unless you mean it.
- Next Austin show: Fri. 02/22 at The Parish with Paper Bird, Shakey Graves
- Riding in the van on the way to load in for our show at Lola’s Saloon in Ft. Worth.
- Lonerism (Tame Impala), Maraqopa (Damien Jurado), Bloom (Beach House)… it was a good year for music, I think.
- Kopecky Family Electric Sunshine Band
- We’re looking forward to seeing cities that we didn’t get to see last year (and the ones that we did!), touring with new friends, continuing the hunt for the best pizza in the universe, aaand festivals!
- Always make sure to stop by Spider House Coffee, and never challenge the authority of parking attendants.
- Next Austin show: TBA
- Seattle but Danny’s in Texas. Or Atlanta?
- Gap Dream – S/T, Ty Segall – “Twins”, The Growlers – “Hung at Heart.”
- The Night Beats
- Playing shows in Israel, Australia and Japan.
- Always make sure to mind your mind, and never mind your thoughts.
- Next Austin show: TBA. Perhaps Austin Psych Fest?
- In my long johns because it’s effing freezing here in NY! Also, listening to the Album Leaf.
- Bobby Womack “The Bravest Man in the Universe,” Santigold “Master of My Make-Believe,” Japandroids “Celebration Rock”
- Bootsy Collins, please.
- Spending a month and a half writing and recording in Austin! We’re moving there in February. We’re also playing a residency at The Parish every Wednesday that month. It’s free!
- Always make sure to hydrate, and never puke. Somehow, the nice weather and the wonderful Texas ladies always make us get our drink on.
- Next Austin show: Wed. 02/06 at The Parish
- On a big red couch listening to Weather Report’s Morning Lake… it’s 6:22am and I’m winding down from an awesome show.
- I listen to loads of stuff from the crates… I really enjoyed the New Mastersounds’ new one… but mainly from the crates.
- Henry + The Invisibles Smokes Weed… just kidding how about FRANKENSTORM. Haha
- Refining my music… festival season… enjoying life with my loved ones.
- Always make sure to check out some music, eat some wonderful food, grab an ice cream cone in Zilker Park, and never be a dick.
- Next Austin show: Sat. 02/23 at Spiderhouse Ballroom with El Tule, Son De Rey
- The bathtub.
- Tame Impala – Lonerism; Cat Power – Sun; Sharon Van Etten – Tramp
- The Shaggy Plums
- Releasing the new record we just recorded with Adam Kasper.
- Always bring your earplugs, and never mix tequila and white wine.
- The Internet.
- OFF!, Lonerism (Tame Impala)
- Van Halen
- Our new record!!!
- Always make sure to drink plenty of Lone Star, and never turn down a taco.
- Lockhart, TX shooting guns by a bonfire
- Baroness-Yellow and Green; Mastodon-The Hunter; Dethklock III
- Bargain with the Devil (Under the Full Moon)
- Fixing my cursed motorcycle.
- Always make sure to wipe, and never back to front.
- Next Austin show: Tue. 02/05 at Holy Mountain with Not in the Face